Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Nicholas Sparks, colds, and Mexican food

Just finished my first book: The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. If you didn't know, I'm an extremely slow reader compared to others at my reading level, so this book took me about a week to read (it probably would take a moderately fast reader just a couple of days). Not gonna lie, wasn't my favorite of Nich's collection. I don't want to ruin anything, but let's just say I was disappointed with the ending: it ends happy, but I don't think it should have. Anyways, I was really glad when I finished the last page--the story drug on and on ... and on. I'm excited to start a new story. Today.

Last weekend, I got a dear present from my mother. I have the joy of living with her currently, and even that does not stop her endless selflessness she shows toward me. It truly is remarkable to me how much our parents share with us - and so willingly too. They just want us to experience all the joys in life that they have experienced. I should've been more grateful for my gift she gave, but instead I was curled up in bed with aches and the most congested nose I think I have ever had. Yes, my mother gave me the cold. So sweet.
It's interesting how we forget how much colds really stink until--BAM!--you're sitting there with a massive headache and water randomly dripping out your nose, after you think you've gotten the running nose under control. Now, truth be told, it was a horrible head cold. However, I really do feel blessed to have been able to sleep for 2 days straight and then be fine, while my mother had to endure for about a week. So while I may not feel a tremendous amount of gratitude for the actual gift of the cold, I do give thanks to her for letting me sleep until noon to get over it!

So I traveled to my good friend's house out in the farmland of Idaho :) I had never actually spent any time there, but it was surprisingly fun to see it. It was a legitimate small farm town, and I love that. She told me stories about growing up and I think I saw every major landmark (the school, the grocery store, and the creek) in a matter of 2 minutes. Love it. The reason I went was to visit her before she went off to school for the rest of the summer, and also to try this Mexican resteraunt she had been raving about. We pulled up to a hole-in-the-wall resteraunt and was seated in the "new" portion, which made the entire place about as big as a classroom. I like Mexican food, but I wasn't convinced that El Gallo Giro was going to be "that amazing." But let me tell you--wow. I literally almost threw up because I couldn't stop eating the deliciousness on my plate (sorry for the graphic image now in your head). To top off the amazing enchalada, I ate half of a dulche de leche cheesecake. If you don't know what dulche de leche is, or have never tried it: you are a sinner. Find some and try it. Now.
To top off the great food, the service there was incredible. The business is completely family owned and run, so the whole feeling in the place was fun and relaxed. If I had the money, I would have tipped the waiter the same amount as my check. Oh and had I actually learned something in my 8th grade Spanish class, I probably would have flirted with the waiter too :) Anyways, great experience in farmland and great visit with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment