Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Imagine...

I have the best job in the whole world this summer. I am a nanny for two darling little girls who in fact prefer if I do not play with them, leaving me to my own work and laziness. But even when I'm not playing with them, I've observed them these last couple months and decided that children have precious gifts that we seem to lose when we get older.

It's true that as you grow you get more privileges: driving license, right to vote, ability to get a credit card, employment, etc. I've loved growing up and utilizing what I can do now that I couldn't do 5 years ago. However, watching these girls this summer has opened my eyes to all the things that I don't have anymore. The biggest being a true imagination.

We were at the pool the other day and I could not figure out what game the girls were playing. So finally I asked the youngest and she replied, "we're playing jungle vets!" There was almost a "duh" tone in her voice and I laughed inside. Kids rock. Now I'm owning up to my adulthood and saying straight out that I have absolutely no interest in pretending to be a jungle vet. However, I can honestly say that I would have NEVER even thought up a jungle vet in a million years! Where do they such an amazing imagination? Where does it go?

I've loved working with these girls this summer--I hope to be like them when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment